In the mid-90’s, while visiting my sister in New Orleans, we went to the strawberry festival in Ponchatoula, La. where I found an old quilt with embroidered birds. The fabric making the lattice between the birds was ugly, so I cut it apart. The squares sat in a drawer for 20-some years. At the inspiration of a quilt I saw at the Guild of Quilters show this year I got the idea to put batiks between the squares. Here is the quilt top that resulted.
A fun project for the last two days, my Church Ladies’ Apron by Mary Mulari. I used a heavy upholstery fabric that I had gotten at IKEA, and it was a good weight for the apron.
My Prismatic Star, started in a class with Cindy Myers, based on a pattern by Judy Niemeyer. I omitted the lattice between the triangles and plan to add some smaller stars in the border.
My Patchwork Cottages quilt is finally finished!
So, I have finished 6 (out of 12) blocks in Erica Kaprow’s Summertime Sampler. When I started, I was just going to do the teapot, but it was so much fun, I continued. I’m still not sure if I’ll do all of them, but I figure, as long as I still have hand dyed wools, I should keep going.
This quilt is made with all African or African-themed fabrics. I’ve been collecting these fabrics for years and got inspired by some new ones I found at a stash sale last month The pattern is ‘Carousel lap quilt’ from Kim Schaefer’s “Cozy Modern Quilts”.
Tonight I finished the last border on my Patchwork Cottage quilt. Now on to the quilting. I plan to hand quilt it, probably over the winter.